Brand newLOWEST PRICE
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $7.00+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe fabled city on the banks of the River Nile, once home to pharaohs and emperors, w forms a focal point of the Islamic faith and of the Arab world. Andrew Beattie explores the turbulent past and vibrant present of this city where the enduring legacies of the ancient Egyptians, the early Coptic Church, British colonial rule and the modernist zeal of the post-independence era have all left their mark. THE CITY OF WRITERS, CONQUERORS AND REVOLUTIONARIES: From Mark Twain and Thackeray to Paul Theroux and Naguib Mahfouz, Alexander the Great to Napoleon, and Lawrence of Arabia to Colonel Nasser. THE CITY OF MONUMENTS AND SPECTACLE: From the Pyramids of Giza and Saqqara to the Mosque of Mohammed Ali, dominating the Cairo skyline; from the teeming bazaars of the muski to Coptic and Islamic festivals. THE CITY OF ANCIENT AND MODERN: Where ancient churches and mosques sit cheek-by-jowl with modern skyscrapers and busy highways; where prosperous suburbs lie close to areas of third world poverty and deprivation.
- Author BiographyANDREW BEATTIE is an author who has travelled widely in the Arab and Islamic worlds, from Morocco to Borneo, and has written for Rough Guides and the Independent on Sunday.
- Author(s)Andrew Beattie
- PublisherSignal Books Ltd
- Date of Publication24/11/2004
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSignal Books Ltd
- Content Note25 illustrations
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $99.95
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $90.74
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.17
- AU $64.63Trending at AU $68.59
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.25
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $98.79
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.