All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $23.13
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.13
- AU $12.14Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.07
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.53
- AU $22.15Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $26.48Trending at AU $30.30
About this product
- DescriptionWhen John Dunlop gives Judy Scott a lift to Glencoe on his motorbike, both are surprised when a relationship develops. But for John all passions must be relegated to the demands of the big climb. The focus soon shifts to the Alps where he teams up with the American climber Jack McDonald. Their careful planning goes awry and a major first ascent bid turns into an intense struggle bringing disaster and tragedy. This is a fictional portrayal of the world of mountaineers doing the most demanding routes at a time when climbing was still emerging from its primitive inter-war and post war austerities, and climbs were still a stark struggle with the elements. The realities and tensions of big-time climbing, firmly focussed on the Alps and the Himalaya, are revealed with greater clarity through the medium of fiction. During the 1960s and 1970s, Dougal Haston was seen as Britain's leading mountaineer following climbs in Scotland and on the Eiger, Annapurna, Everest and Mount McKinley with Robin Smith, John Harlin, Don Whillans, Doug Scott, Chris Bonington and others. He wrote Calculated Risk shortly before his death in 1977, while skiing above Leysin, Switzreland, an accident strangely foretold in the book.
- Author(s)Dougal Haston
- PublisherBaton Wicks Publications
- Date of Publication20/03/2006
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationMacclesfield
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBaton Wicks Publications
- Content Noteone large topographical map
- Width150 mm
- Height230 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.