All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCalculus answers questions that had been explored for centuries before calculus was born. Calculus and Its Origins begins with these ancient questions and details the remarkable story of how subsequent scholars wove these inquiries into a unified theory. This book does t presuppose kwledge of calculus, it requires only a basic kwledge of geometry and algebra (similar triangles, polymials, factoring). Inside you will find the accounts of how Archimedes discovered the area of a parabolic segment, ibn Al-Haytham calculated the volume of a revolved area, Jyesthadeva explained the infinite series for sine and cosine, Wallis deduced the link between hyperbolas and logarithms, Newton generalized the bimial theorem, Leibniz discovered integration by parts, and much more. Each chapter ends with further results, in the form of exercises, by such luminaries as Pascal, Maclaurin, Barrow, Cauchy and Euler.
- Author BiographyDavid Perkins teaches mathematics at Luzerne County Community College. He earned his doctorate from the University of Montana in 1995.
- Author(s)David Perkins
- PublisherMathematical Association of America
- Date of Publication12/04/2012
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleSpectrum
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMathematical Association of America
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight460 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine14 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.