All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOne of the most intellectually and emotionally engaging of the Spanish Golden Age (seventeenth century) plays, as well as the most controversial. Taking place during the reign of King Pedro of Castile (1350!1369), it is one of the spectacular 'hour dramas', in which the main characters confront compelling yet conflicting imperatives. The Physician of His Hour is beautiful in its poetry and unsettling in its resolution. For more than 350 years the play and its author have been as fiercely reviled as they have been enthusiastically acclaimed by audiences and readers. First published in 1997, for the second edition the translation has been extensively revised, with the aim of simplifying the English, whilst continuing to respect and ackwledge as much as possible the beauties and challenges of the original Spanish.
- Author BiographyDian Fox is Professor of Spanish and Comparative Literature at Brandeis University in Waltham, Massachusetts, and publishes on Spanish Golden Age literature. Donald Hindley is Professor of Politics at Brandeis University, is a specialist in Southeast Asian and Latin American politics.
- Author(s)Donald Hindley,Pedro Calderon de la Barca
- PublisherLiverpool University Press
- Date of Publication27/06/2007
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAris & Phillips Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight295 g
- Width149 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byDian Fox
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.