All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn a deft blend of factual histiry and the author's creative imagination, Call Me Dolley by Hariette S. Sherman is a highly original work written for middle-grade readers, but accessible to history buffs of all ages. Indomitable in her patriotism and courageous in her personal life, Dolley Madison springs from these pages a laerger-than-life First Lady. She sparkles as a hostess at diplomatic parties at the President's Mansion, partners her president-husband with her honed political skills, and delights in outrageous fashions. Her feathered turbans, rouged (!) cheeks, and unladylike use of snuff are in sharp comtrast to her sober, restrictive Quaker upbringing. And, at a crucial moment in American history, she proves herself a true hero, one who dares to love her country more than self. In a series of interviews, she beguiles a young reporter who aims to present a living hero to inspire children. Their lives are entwined as vivid scenes unfold, and the reader is drawn into the drama of love, war, and everyday life in early America. Full page illustrations provide pictorial representaions of the text. Sherman is a gifted storyteller and her distinctive voice rings true in this engaging work. Call Me Dolley earns a place on school library shelves beside Abigail and Mary: Sisters Under the Skin in this series of historical fiction about real First Ladies.
- Author(s)Hariette S Sherman
- PublisherNew Generation Publishing
- Date of Publication15/12/2003
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew Generation Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight181 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.