Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.65
About this product
- DescriptionAcross Europe, more than three hundred houses and museums commemorate the composers that lived and worked in them. In Calling on the Composer, two distinguished musicologists guide the reader and the musically curious traveller to these sites and provide essential information on their content and significance. Whether lakeside hut or moated castle, clock tower or cave, village school or fine town house, the physical context for musical genius and a glimpse of the artefacts of day-to-day existence have a powerful impact on how we perceive the figure behind the music we know and love. Julie and Stanley Sadie have journeyed to thirty-one countries to compile this unique travel companion and reference source. They offer practical information for the visitor, seasoned insights and lively commentary. Richly illustrated and supported by thorough maps, the entries on individual composers trace their steps through the practicalities of life and the context of creativity. A series of preliminary essays explore some of the thought-provoking issues that surround and inform the presentation of these sites.
- Author BiographyJulie Anne Sadie is author of the Companion to Baroque Music and a regular contributor to The Gramophone. She was an editor of The New Grove Dictionary of Women Composers and was the first director of the Handel House Museum in London. Stanley Sadie, the foremost musical lexicographer in the English-speaking world, was editor of The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians as well as four other music dictionaries including The New Grove Dictionary of Opera.
- Author(s)Julie Anne Sadie,Stanley Sadie
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication07/06/2005
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Out-of-print date09/12/2016
- Content Note200 b&w illustrations
- Weight1102 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine31 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.