All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs a major theologian John Calvin is often the subject of widespread misunderstanding and misinterpretation, this new Guide for the Perplexed will provide an ideal introduction to his thoughts and views.John Calvin is a major theologian of the Christian Church, but one who is also the subject of widespread misunderstanding and misinterpretation. He is also a figure whom other theologians either seek to 'capture' to endorse their own (often very different positions) or whom they seek to vilify. His situation in late medievalism is often overlooked. So there is an important need to re-situate Calvin. Calvin: A Guide for the Perplexed attempts to do this in the context of providing a 'middle level' introduction to his thought. The need for such re-situating will be stressed in the first Chapter, 'Orientation'. As befits the series, attention will be focussed on Calvin's thought, t on his personal character or career, though reference will be made to these as necessary, and the Introduction will include a brief overview of his life and times. Attention will be made t only to Calvin's theological positions, but also to the philosophy intertwined within them, the significance and interest of which is often overlooked.Continuum's Guides for the Perplexed are clear, concise and accessible introductions to thinkers, writers and subjects that students and readers can find especially challenging - or indeed downright bewildering. Concentrating specifically on what it is that makes the subject difficult to grasp, these books explain and explore key themes and ideas, guiding the reader towards a thorough understanding of demanding material.
- Author BiographyPaul Helm is J. I. Packer Professor in Theology and Philosophy at Regent College, Vancouver, Canada.
- Author(s)Professor Paul Helm
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication18/09/2008
- SubjectChristian Theology
- Series TitleGuides for the Perplexed
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintT.& T.Clark Ltd
- Weight318 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $203.71
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.34
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.83
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $80.93
- AU $64.77Trending at AU $69.55
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $79.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.