All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book in the highly respected Cambridge History of Science series is devoted to the history of the life and earth sciences since 1800. It provides comprehensive and authoritative surveys of historical thinking on major developments in these areas of science, on the social and cultural milieus in which the kwledge was generated, and on the wider impact of the major theoretical and practical invations. The articles are written by ackwledged experts who provide concise accounts of the latest historical thinking coupled with guides to the most important recent literature. In addition to histories of traditional sciences, the book covers the emergence of newer disciplines such as genetics, biochemistry and geophysics. The interaction of scientific techniques with their practical applications in areas such as medicine is a major focus of the book, as is its coverage of controversial areas such as science and religion, and environmentalism.
- Author BiographyPeter J. Bowler is Professor of the History of Science at Queen's University in Belfast. He was president of the British Society for the History of Science from 2004 to 2006, is a member of the Royal Irish Academy, and is a Fellow of the British Academy and the American Association for the Advancement of Science. He is the author of numerous books, including Charles Darwin: The Man and His Influence, published by Cambridge University Press in 1996 and Reconciling Science and Religion: The Debate in Early Twentieth-Century Britain (University of Chicago Press, 2001). John V. Pickstone is Wellcome Research Professor at Manchester University, where he founded the Centre for the History of Science, Technology and Medicine and directed it until 2002. His numerous books and articles include Ways of Knowing. A New History of Science, Technology and Medicine (Manchester University Press, 2000, and Chicago University Press, 2001) and Surgeons, Manufacturers and Patients: A Transatlantic History of the Total Hip Replacement, co-authored with Julie Anderson and Francis Neary (Palgrave, 2007).
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication13/04/2009
- SubjectScience: General & Reference
- Series TitleThe Cambridge History of Science
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note3 tables
- Weight1040 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine45 mm
- Edited byJohn V. Pickstone,Peter J. Bowler
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.27New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.36Trending at AU $30.17
- AU $25.42Trending at AU $25.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.