All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThese are the stories of four key ministers of the 18th and 19th centuries who changed the whole spirit of the Church of England - and whose influence is still seen today. Each one of these men was associated with Cambridge University.
William Grimshaw (1708-1763) Christ's College, was a friend of John Wesley who was one of the first leaders of the 18th century revival. He frequently had 1200 worshippers at his church in Haworth (most outside the building!). Even the modern day Poet Laureate, Ted Hughes, felt his influence.
John Berridge (1716-1793) Clare College was influenced by Grimshaw and became kwn as the i 1/2Pedlar of the Gospel' after refusing to obey his Bishop who said he should NOT be preaching to the people in the fields.
Henry Venn (1725-1797) Queen's College was also a leader in the Evangelical Revival and the i 1/2spiritual father' of the Clapham Sect of Social reformers, which included William Wilberforce's campaign against slavery. He was also the mentor to
Charles Simeon* (1759-1836) Kings College, a founder of the Church Missionary Society and a key consultant for the East India Company on their choice of chaplains, one of whom was his curate.
Sir Marcus Loane has also written Oxford and the Evangelical Succession (ISBN 978-1-84550-245-4).
- Author(s)Marcus Loane
- PublisherChristian Focus Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication01/03/2007
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Place of PublicationTain
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintChristian Focus Publications Ltd
- Weight367 g
- Width161 mm
- Height214 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.