All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe transformation from fields to streets in Camden Town and Kentish Town began in the eighteenth century. This book covers many aspects of life in these adjacent neighbourhoods of Northwest London. The area was crossed by railway lines that provided much local employment. Camden Town was also a table centre of the pia making industry. While public houses proliferated, some originally coaching inns, the residents' spiritual needs were well served by churches and chapels. Theatres and cinemas provided entertainment and almost anything, including talking parrots, could be bought in the shops on or close to Camden High Street and Kentish Town Road. More recently, the area around Camden Lock on the Regent's Canal has become one of London's leading tourist attractions, famous for its vibrant atmosphere, restaurants and shops. Post Second World War redevelopment replaced large areas of Victorian housing: this book shows while much has changed amazingly, much has survived.
- Author BiographyMARIANNE COLLOMS has co-authored a number of articles and books on the history of Camden, in particular Hampstead, Kilburn, Camden and Kentish Towns. She is also a partner in a long established design consultancy. DICK WEINDLING was previously Head of Educational Management at the National Foundation for Educational Research (NFER) and then a freelance educational researcher. Specialising in the work of new head teachers he wrote several education books. He has now retired and works on history projects with his writing colleague Marianne Colloms.
- Author(s)Dick Weinding,Mariam Colloms
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/06/2012
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Notecol. Illustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.87
- AU $23.22Trending at AU $28.84
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.71
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.93
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.52
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.