Camp Following: Adventures of the Military Wife by Betty Sowers Alt, Bonnie Domrose Stone (Paperback, 1991)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $47.96Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $54.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWe kw that a supportive family is the key to a person's success. It is fascinating to read a history of military wives that begins to give them the credit they deserve for service to their country and their families. Patricia Schroeder U.S. Representative, Colorado Campfollowing opens an important page in history for the military and for the role of women in the military. The women described in this book were t only devoted wives and mothers who brought a few of the comforts of home to forlorn military outposts, but they were also nurses who cared for the sick and wounded, as well as soldiers who fought bravely next to their soldier-husbands. They served their country with great love, dignity, and hor, and they deserve this long overdue recognition. I believe this book will be both an inspiration and a model for present military spouses as they follow their loved ones throughout the world or wait patiently at home for them when they are apart. Timothy E. Wirth U.S. Senator, Colorado Campfollowers themselves, Betty Alt and Bonnie Stone have collected published and unpublished memoirs, diaries, and letters and have conducted personal interviews to present this comprehensive history of the military wife from the Revolutionary War through the post-Vietnam years. The first work to concentrate on the unique hardships and rewards kwn to these women, this book considers both the traditional and modern roles of the military wife, with particular attention to her place as second in line to her husband's career and the military establishment's reluctant acceptance of her as integral to the success of its mission. Resilience and flexibility, loneliness and companionship, and danger and loyalty are all components of the military wife's life described in these revealing pages. The chapters are organized chrologically, outlining the experience during peacetime and war, stateside and overseas. Throughout, the focus remains on the strength of this sisterhood as it copes with separation and fear by fostering its sense of community, and faces the indifference of the military by constantly asserting its identity. This look at the many different facets of life as a military wife, described from a personal perspective within a historical framework, is a thoughtful analysis, a complete chronicle, and a true adventure with all its joys and perils.
- Author BiographyBETTY SOWERS ALT has an M.A. in history from Northeast Missouri State University and is an instructor in sociology at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs. She has frequently spoken on the problems/history of the military wife for military conferences and civic groups. BONNIE DOMROSE STONE has a B.A. in journalism from Marquette University and frequently lectures to women's groups. She is co-author of the history book Aloha Cowboy and is a former award-winning reporter and editor for both civilian and military publications. Alt and Stone's first book, Uncle Sam's Brides, was well received. The authors have been on numerous radio and television programs, including Good Morning America and CNN's Sonya Live.
- Author(s)Betty Sowers Alt,Bonnie Domrose Stone
- Date of Publication21/06/1991
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPraeger Publishers Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight218 g
- Width140 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.78
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.86
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.89
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.38
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.38
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.