All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNot-quite-woman, t-quite-man, t-quite-animal, t-quite-flower: the poems in Can I Finish, Please? are shape-shifting acts, lyric interruptions that crave and resist completion, where the mutable self and the world are made and unmade over and over. These poems explore hungers, from appetite to hedonistic consumption, from prayer to a yearning for generative resolution. An exiled couple remakes a ruined world out of buttons and string; tools give advice on love; a magic walking stick guides a speaker through haunted stone quarries; beds turn into musical instruments; a great antlered deer lives inside a locket; flowers transform into frogs, dogs, hobos in a lecherous garden that howls and laments on the violence we do to each other and the world. Pain and loss are recognized as necessary elements in the making of a self.
- Author BiographyCATHERINE BOWMAN is the award-winning author of 1-8OO-HOT-RIBS, Rock Farm, Notarikon, and The Plath Cabinet, as well as editor of Word of Mouth: Poems featured on NPR s All Things Considered. Her poems have appeared in the New Yorker, Ploughshares, Paris Review, the LA Times, and Best American Poetry among other journals. She lives on a farmand teaches literature, writing, and poetry at Indiana University.
- Author(s)Catherine Bowman
- PublisherFour Way Books
- Date of Publication14/04/2016
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFour Way Books
- Weight227 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $203.71
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.34
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.83
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.84
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $80.93
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $69.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.