All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCanada's engagement with post-independence Africa presents a puzzle. Although Canada is recognized for its activism where Africa is concerned, critics have long ted the contradictions that underlie Canadian involvement. Focusing on the period following 2000, and by juxtaposing Jean Chretien's G8 activism with the Harper government's retreat from continental engagement, David R. Black's Canada and Africa in the New Millennium illustrates a history of consistent inconsistency in Canada's relationship with Africa. Black combines three interpretive frames to account for this record: the tradition of good international citizenship ; Canada's role as a benign face of Western hegemonic interests in Africa; and Africa's role as the basis for a longstanding narrative concerning Canada's ethical mission in the world. To examine Africa's place in Canada's foreign policy--and Canada's place in Africa--Black focuses on G8 diplomacy, foreign aid, security assistance through peace operations and training, and the increasingly controversial impact of Canadian extractive companies. Offering an integrated account of Canada's role in sub-Saharan Africa, Black provides a way of understanding the nature and resilience of recent shifts in Canadian policy. He underscores how Africa--though marginal to Canadian interests as traditionally conceived--has served as an important marker of Canada's international role.
- Author BiographyDavid R. Black is Lester B. Pearson Professor of International Development Studies at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Canada. His research has focused on Canada's role in sub-Saharan Africa, South Africa's place within the continent, and sport in world politics. He is co-editor of A Decade of Human Security (2006) and The International Politics of Mass Atrocities: The Case of Darfur (2008).
- Author(s)David R. Black
- PublisherWilfrid Laurier University Press
- Date of Publication01/07/2014
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Place of PublicationWaterloo, Ontario
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintWilfrid Laurier University Press
- Weight532 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.30New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.36New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $43.41
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $28.36Trending at AU $30.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.