Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $43.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn implicit sense of public service and 'otherness' has now come to permeate Canberra's identity to a point that there is a great smugness, arrogance even, that the rest of Australia can hate us - but they'll never know how good it is to live here. Canberra is a city of orphans. People arrive temporarily for work, but stay on because they discover unanticipated promise and opportunity in a city that the rest of the country loathes but can't really do without. Daley's Canberra begins and ends at the lake and its forgotten suburbs, traces of which can still be found on Burley Griffin's banks. It meanders through the cultural institutions that chronicle the unsavoury early life of Canberra, the graveyard at St John's where the pioneers rest and the mountains that surround the city. In Canberra people don't ask you where you went to school, as they do in Melbourne, or where your house is and how much you paid for it, as they do in Sydney. They ask you where you've come from. And how long you're going to stay.
- Author BiographyPaul Daley, a journalist for more than two decades, has covered national politics since he moved to Canberra in 1993. He has been a political writer, and defence and foreign affairs correspondent for Fairfax newspapers, and a national affairs editor for The Bulletin . He is the recipient of the Walkley Award for Investigative Journalism and the Paul Lyneham Award for Excellence in Press Gallery Journalism. He is the author of Beersheeba: A journey through Australia's forgotten war (MUP 2009) and Collingwood: A Love Story (MUP 2011).
- Author(s)Paul Daley
- PublisherUNSW Press
- Date of Publication30/10/2012
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationSydney
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintUNSW Press
- Weight318 g
- Width110 mm
- Height178 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.20
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.