All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe vella has never been out of print and has been translated into every conceivable language. The text of this Norton Critical Edition remains that of Robert M. Adams's superlative translation, accompanied by explanatory antations. This edition also includes: A full introduction by Nicholas Cronk; Five background studies of Enlightenment ideas and themes (by Richard Holmes, Adam Gopnik, W. H. Barber, Haydn Mason and Nicholas Cronk), four of these new to the third edition; Eight critical essays-six of them new to this edition-representing a wide range of approaches to Candide. Contributors include J. G. Weightman, Roger Pearson, Dennis Fletcher, Robin Howells, James J. Lynch, Philip Stewart, Erich Auerbach and Jean Starobinski. A revised and expanded Selected Bibliography is also included.
- Author BiographyNicholas Cronk is Director of the Voltaire Foundation, Professor of French Literature, and Lecturer in the History of the Book at Oxford University. He is General Editor of the Complete Works of Voltaire as well as editor or co-editor of many publications. His current research project is Voltaire's Radical Enlightenment: Editing and Re-Interpreting the Lettres sur les Anglais, for which he has been awarded an Arts and Humanities Research Council Fellowship (2015-17).
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication17/06/2016
- SubjectLiterary Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleNorton Critical Editions
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Weight270 g
- Width132 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edited byNicholas Cronk
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.