All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCantinflas and the Chaos of Mexican Modernity is a revealing probe into the life and times of Mario More, Latin America's most famous film star from the 1940s to the 1970s. This book helps to illuminate the social and cultural history of twentieth-century Mexico. Cantinflas (More's film persona) was the most popular movie star in Mexican history. A fast-talking, nsensical character, he helped Mexicans embrace their rich mestizo identity and cope with the difficulties of modernization. For thirty years he served as a 'weapon of the weak,' satirizing corrupt officials and pompous elites who victimized Mexico's urban poor. This is a valuable text for courses on Mexican history and Latin American film.
- Author BiographyJeffrey M. Pilcher is professor of history at the University of Toronto Scarborough.
- Author(s)Jeffrey M. Pilcher
- PublisherScholarly Resources Inc.,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/12/2000
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleLatin American Silhouettes
- Place of PublicationDenver
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintScholarly Resources Inc.,U.S.
- Content Notephotographs, chronology, bibliography, index
- Weight572 g
- Width164 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.63
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.