All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat are people's life experiences in present-day Japan? This timely volume addresses fundamental questions vital to under- standing Japan in the first decade of the twenty-first century. Its chapters collectively reveal a questioning of middle-class ideals once considered the essence of Japaneseness. In the postwar model household a man was expected to obtain a job at a major firm that offered life-long employment; his counterpart, the professional housewife, managed the domestic sphere and the children, who were educated in a system that provided a path to mainstream success. In the past twenty years, however, Japanese society has seen a sharp increase in precarious forms of employment, higher divorce rates, and a widening gap between haves and have-ts.
Contributors draw on rich, nuanced fieldwork data collected during the 2000s to examine work, schooling, family and marital relations, child rearing, entertainment, lifestyle choices, community support, consumption and waste, material culture, well-being, aging, death and memorial rites, and sexuality. The voices in these pages vary widely: They include schoolchildren, teenagers, career women, unmarried women, young mothers, people with disabilities, small business owners, organic farmers, retirees, and the elderly.
- Author BiographySatsuki Kawano is associate professor of anthropology at the University of Guelph, Canada.
Glenda S. Roberts is professor and director of international studies at Waseda University, Japan.
Susan Orpett Long is professor of anthropology at John Carroll University, USA.
- PublisherUniversity of Hawai'i Press
- Date of Publication30/07/2014
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationHonolulu, HI
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Hawai'i Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, figures
- Weight680 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edited byGlenda Roberts,Satsuki Kawano,Susan Orpett Long
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $191.05New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.