All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCare in Context is a thought-provoking book that looks at gender inequalities in the context of care. Drawing in part from unique transnational perspectives and gripping interviews, this book focuses on key questions that intellectuals, policy makers and all of us who care and need care have to ask, such as: What is good care? Who should be involved in providing it? And how should care be arranged and organized so that that the interests of both care givers and care recipients are equally provided for? Care is indispensable to human flourishing. Without it we cant survive. It is vital to the development of all individuals and to that of the broader society. Increasing ecomic and health problems have also contributed to mounting care crises in different parts of the world. With this view, the book offers fresh and nuanced perspectives and is a definite must read for all those affected by issues of care.
- Author BiographyVasu Reddy is the executive director of the Human and Social Development Program at the Human Sciences Research Council and an honorary professor and research fellow in the school of Social Sciences, college of Humanities at the University of KwaZulu-Natal. He is the author of From Social Silence to Social Science. Stephen Meyer is associated with the Zentrum Gender Studies at the University of Basel. Tamara Shefer is a professor in the department of women s and gender studies and currently deputy dean of teaching and learning in the arts faculty of the University of the Western Cape. Thenjiwe Meyiwa is the research director in the education and skills development unit of the Human Sciences Research Council and an honorary professor at the Durban University of Technology. Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka is a United Nations under-secretary-general and the executive director of UN Women. She is the former deputy president of South Africa. Joan Tronto is a professor of political science at the University of Minnesota.
- PublisherHSRC Press
- Date of Publication01/06/2014
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationCape Town
- Country of PublicationSouth Africa
- ImprintHSRC Press
- Weight726 g
- Width168 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byStephan Meyer,Tamara Shefer,Thenjiwe Meyiwa,Vasu Reddy
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.43Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $119.81
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.