All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMore than a century of scientific research has indicated that the majority of crime that occurs in society is committed by a small percentage of the population, meaning that most criminals are repeat offenders, or career criminals. If societies devoted considerable resources toward preventing and neutralizing career criminals, there would be dramatic reductions in crime, the fear of crime, and the assorted costs and collateral consequences of crime. Career Criminals in Society examines the small but dangerous group of repeat offenders who are most damaging to society. The book encourages readers to think critically about the causes of criminal behavior and the potential of the criminal justice system to reduce crime. Author Matt DeLisi draws upon his own practitioner experience interviewing criminal defendants to argue that career criminals can be combated only with a combination of prevention efforts and retributive criminal justice system policies. With its controversial, thought-provoking style, Career Criminals in Society is sure to advance theory and research on chronic offenders and inspire discussions on how to adequately control crime.
- Author BiographyMatt DeLisi (Ph.D. University of Colorado, 2000) is Assistant Professor in the Department of Sociology and Coordinator of the Criminal Justice Studies Program at Iowa State University. Dr. DeLisi's primary areas of study are career criminals and self-control theory and his research has appeared in Advances in Criminological Theory, American Journal of Criminal Justice, Behavioral Sciences & the Law, Crime & Criminal Justice International, Criminal Justice Policy Review, Criminal Justice Review, Criminal Justice Studies: A Critical Journal of Crime, Law & Society, Encyclopedia of Juvenile Justice, International Journal of Offender Therapy & Comparative Criminology, Journal of Criminal Justice, Justice Quarterly, Pakistan Journal of Social Science, The Social Science Journal, The Justice Professional, and Women & Criminal Justice. Professor DeLisi is a member of both the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences and American Society of Criminology and has delivered nearly 20 presentations to professional criminal justice and social science organizations.
- Author(s)Matthew DeLisi
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication12/05/2005
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSAGE Publications Inc
- Out-of-print date26/01/2016
- Weight408 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $40.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.96
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.41
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.