All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMany environmentalists believe that religion has been a major contributor to our ecological crisis, for Judeo-Christians have been taught that they have dominion over the earth and so do t consider themselves part of a biotic community. In this book a philosopher of environmental ethics ackwledges that religion may contribute to environmental problems but argues that religion can also play an important role in solving these problems--that religion can provide an ethical context that will help people to become sensitive to the environment and to elect leaders who are genuinely responsive to the ecological crisis. Examining a broad range of Western religious traditions--from conservative Christianity and orthodox Judaism to Goddess feminism and nature religion--Max Oelschlaeger provides a sociolinguistic analysis of their creation stories and finds environmentally positive aspects in each of them. He asserts that religious discourse in the public arena can offer a way for such environmental issues as biodiversity, pollution, and population to be addressed outside the realm of special-interest politics. And he urges local churches to make caring for creation a theme for worship in their services; the majority of Americans, says Oelschlaeger, will discover an environmental ethic only through their religious faith.
- Author BiographyMax Oelschlaeger, professor of philosophy and religious studies at the University of North Texas, is also the author of the prizewinning book The Idea of Wilderness: From Prehistory to the Age of Ecology.
- Author(s)Max Oelschlaeger
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication01/04/1996
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Weight460 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $67.92Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $42.49
- AU $18.56Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.03
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $27.63
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.