All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs medical advances become more sophisticated, average life expectancies continue to grow. This presents significant challenges to the health care system, and caring for older people is w every nurse's concern. This book aims to help nursing students understand how to care for older people in any care setting. It uniquely focuses on person-centred, humanised care in addition to physical care, helping students to examine attitudes towards older people in health care and combat negative stereotypes. The book takes a positive stance on ageing, celebrating the fact that in the Western world we live longer and healthier with a focus on the well-being of the individual. Key features: * Easy-to-read introduction for nursing students, with a chapter on making the most of placements with older people; * Linked to the latest NMC Standards and Essential Skills Clusters for degree-level education; * Theory is linked to practice through case studies and scenarios, emphasising the lived experiences of the older person; * Plenty of activities help build critical thinking and graduate skills; * Further resources on the book's website to help you in your teaching including additional questions and case studies, website links, and PDFs of useful resources.
- Author BiographyDr Sue Barker is a registered mental health nurse and chartered psychologist; she works at Bournemouth University in the School of Health and Social Care as a Senior Lecturer. She is also a member of Bournemouth University Dementia Institute as part of this she has undertaken consultancy and evaluation work. She has a particular interest in mental and emotional wellbeing and her PhD explored the emotional care given to women becoming mothers. Sue leads a unit on the mental health nursing programme entitled mental health and wellbeing in later life.
- PublisherSAGE Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication29/10/2013
- SubjectMedical Nursing & Ancillary Services
- Series TitleTransforming Nursing Practice Series
- Place of PublicationExeter
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintLearning Matters Ltd
- Weight458 g
- Width171 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited bySue Barker
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.79Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.68Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.