All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionCounty Carlow, where stood Dinn Righ, the seat of the ancient kings of Leinster, is steeped in history, myth and legend which is celebrated in this selection of traditional tales from across the county, collected and retold by local storytellers Aideen McBride and Jack Sheehan. This selection will take you on an oral tour across the county and introduce you to such Carlow characters as Peter Nail, the 'Weight Thrower from Ratheaden'; Beauchamp Bagenal, the 'handsomest man in Ireland'; and St Finnian, the 'Teacher of the Saints'. You will discover how the Barrow River got its name, who threw the standing stone of Clonee, the dangers of digging for gold in the 'raths' and how Teresa Malone became the Heroine of Kilcumney. And on the way you will encounter fairies, witches and giants - as well as bouncing puddings and giant potatoes.
- Author BiographyAideen McBride is a professional storyteller and member of the Storytellers of Ireland who has appeared in festivals such as Cape Clear International Storytelling Festival and Spirit of Folk. She is also an oral historian and has been involved in several projects to collect traditional tales. Her previously published works include Our Tales. Jack Sheehan is a member of the Storytellers of Ireland and regularly appears at Dublin Yarnspinners and Carlow Storytellers. Jack also has an interest in local history and is a member of Carlow Local History Society. A retired businessman, he collected many of his tales during his travels around the county as part of his working life.
- Author(s)Aideen McBride,Jack Sheehan
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication25/02/2014
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Note25 black & white illustrations
- Weight204 g
- Width124 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.