Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $20.93+ AU $25.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCartooning Texas presents a century of this state's history through a craft that is one of the nation's liveliest art forms. Few states have enjoyed as rich a history of political cartooning as the great state of Texas. William Sydney (O. Henry) Porter and his depiction of railroad graft, turn-of-the century Tobe Bateman and his trademark goat, Pulitzer Prize winner Ben Sargent--these cartoonists have helped readers understand what this country's changes would mean to them. Even the first cartoon kwn to have lampooned native son Lyndon Johnson appears in these pages. Their sometimes humorous, always pointed lines have appeared in the Austin American-Statesman, the Rolling Stone, the Houston Post, the Dallas Morning News, and other state papers. With deft movements of pen across page, they have portrayed the events and personalities that have shaped public life. Lone Star cartoonists have provided a record that will amuse and educate new generations of Texans as well as those who remember the originals. Maury B. Forman and Robert A. Calvert provide context and explanations for each cartoon and overviews of each decade's main developments in the art.
- Author BiographyMAURY B. FORMAN, a native Texan with an undergraduate degree from North Texas State University, received the Ph.D. in political science from New York University. By day, he is the training coordinator for the Department of Trade and Economic Development for the State of Washington. By night, he is the co-founder and managing director of Cartoon, Inc., a Washington-based corporation devoted to the appreciation and propagation of cartoons as educational tools, historical records, and cultural artifacts. He has also published Cartooning AIDS around the World and Cartooning Washington: One Hundred Years of Cartoon Art. ROBERT A. CALVERT is a professor of history at Texas A&M University. A past president of the Texas State History Association, he has written widely on Texas history.
- Author(s)M. Forman
- PublisherTexas A & M University Press
- Date of Publication15/06/2006
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationCollege Station
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTexas A & M University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight472 g
- Width214 mm
- Height277 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.91Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $36.60Trending at AU $37.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.