All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Arthur Schnitzler's poignant vella, Casava's Return to Venice, the famed gambler, adventurer and seducer Casava has been reduced to melancholy, unhappily civilised by age. His yearning for Venice, the city of his birth, grew so intense that, like a wounded bird slowly circling downwards in its death flight, he began to move in ever-narrowing circles. One of Schnitzler's most poignant evocations of the passing of time and the ironies of sentiment and love, Casava's Return to Venice tells the story of an ageing Casava's desperate desire to return to the city he truly loves after a life of exile; a desire which is contrasted with his still-libidius and sensuous - yet weary - pursuit of women, money and prestige. Arthur Schnitzler's Casava's Return to Venice is translated from the German by Ilsa Barea, and published by Pushkin Press. Arthur Schnitzler was born in Vienna in 1862. The son of a prominent doctor, he worked first as a physician and then, following his father's death, as a writer of vels, plays and short stories. His work fearlessly and profoundly explores everything from sexuality to anti-Semitism with an intense understanding of human motives and weaknesses.
- Author BiographyArthur Schnitzler was born in Vienna in 1862, the son of a prominent Jewish doctor, and studied medicine at the University of Vienna. In later years he devoted his life to writing and was successful as a novelist, dramatist and short story writer. Schnitzler's work shows a remarkable ability to create atmosphere and a profound understanding of human motives. His novels Dying and Fraulein Else are also published by Pushkin Press.
- Author(s)Arthur Schnitzler
- PublisherPushkin Press
- Date of Publication07/02/2013
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPushkin Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, frontispiece
- Weight191 g
- Width120 mm
- Height165 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Translated byIlsa Barea
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.62
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.27
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.80
- AU $21.75Trending at AU $24.79
- AU $19.97Trending at AU $20.46
- AU $39.99Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $28.10Trending at AU $28.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.