All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionWhat is semiotics? What does it mean? How does it work? Over the past few decades, semiotics has increasingly gained popularity and yet, to many, the very term remains an enigma. This Dictionary of Semiotics is a much-needed reference book for the terms and models used in the semiotic approach. Based on the theory evolved by the Paris School of semiotics founded by A.J. Greimas, the work is exceptional in that it combines a wordbook with detailed explanation of theory and a host of practical illustrations. An initial definition of the concept, coupled with a brief historical overview of the elaboration of European semiotic theory, is followed by a specialized lexicon of its metalanguage. Expressed in lucid terms, the definitions are clarified further by readily understood examples. In the final section of the volume, a semiotic analysis of a well-kwn fairy-tale provides a practical example of the method, both illustrating how semiotic models can be helpful in probinf effects of meaning on the textual surface and showing how to integrate them into wider contexts.In contrast to the highly technical semiotic dictionary produced in France, which addresses a specialized readership only, this work is accessible to students of all levels. Aiming at a wide range of readers, it can be used in course work as well as for reference. Bronwen Martin and Felizitas Ringham are both Associate Research Fellows at Birbeck College, University of London.
- Author BiographyBronwen Martin is a Research Fellow at Birkbeck College, University of London, UK. Felizitas Ringham is a Research Fellow at Birkbeck College, University of London.
- Author(s)Bronwen Martin,Felizitas Ringham,Martin Bronwen
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication01/12/1999
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight280 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.