All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe central focus of this volume is a critical comparative analysis of the key drivers for water resource management and the provision of clean water - governance systems and institutional and legal arrangements. The authors present a systematic analysis of case study river systems drawn from Australia, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands, UK and USA to provide an integrated global assessment of the scale and key features of catchment management. A key premise explored is that despite the diversity of jurisdictions and catchments there are commonalities to a successful approach. The authors show that environmental and public health water quality criteria must be integrated with the ecomic and social goals of those affected, necessitating a 'twin-track' and holistic (cross-sector and discipline) approach of stakeholder engagement and sound scientific research. A final synthesis presents a set of principles for adaptive catchment management. These principles demonstrate how to integrate the best scientific and technical kwledge with policy, governance and legal provisions. It is shown how decision-making and implementation at the appropriate geographic and governmental scales can resolve conflicts and share best sustainable practices.
- Author BiographyLaurence Smith is Professor of Environmental Policy and Development in the Centre for Development, Environment and Policy, SOAS, University of London, UK. Keith Porter is Adjunct Professor at Cornell Law School and the former Director of the New York State Water Resources Institute, Cornell University, Ithaca, USA. Kevin Hiscock is Professor of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia, UK. Mary Jane Porter is recently retired from the New York State Water Resources Institute, Cornell University, USA. David Benson is Lecturer in Politics at the University of Exeter, UK, based at the Environment and Sustainability Institute (ESI) in Penryn, Cornwall.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication31/07/2011
- SubjectEngineering & Technology: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleEarthscan Studies in Water Resource Management
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEarthscan Ltd
- Content Note8 black & white illustrations, 7 colour illustrations, 3 black & white tables, 5 black & white line drawings, 7 colour line drawings
- Weight612 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byDavid Benson,Keith Porter,Kevin M. Hiscock,L. E. D. Smith,Laurence Smith,Mary Jane Porter
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.