CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionHer Life of Robert Burns produced a furore in Scottish newspapers for its depiction of a man, rather than a legend, and her biography of D. H. Lawrence, The Savage Pilgrimage , was withdrawn amid threats of legal action. As a working journalist, she knew many of the great literary figures of her day in Scotland, England, and America. She worked with the Irishman William Fay to write a history of the Abbey Theatre, and was the lifelong friend of the velist D. H. Lawrence, remaining his supporter throughout his battles with British censorship. As an Edwardian, Catherine Carswell was heir to Glasgow's nineteenth century - its godliness, its realism, its modernity, and its sentimentality. As a well travelled twentieth-century woman, who lived in London from 1910, she visited Italy, Germany, France, and met most of Stalin's cabinet in pre-war Russia. She was rebellious, determined, intellectual, and stranger to conflict. Jan Pilditch's vivid account of her life tells us much about women and their writing in the early years of the twentieth century.
- Author BiographyJan Pilditch was born and grew up in Cheshire, England. After emigrating to New Zealand she continued her studies extramurally through Massey University and later at the University of Waikato where she completed a DPhil in American Satire. She is now a Senior Lecturer in English and Director of the American Studies Programme at Waikato. She serves on the Executive Committee for the Australia and New Zealand American Studies Association and is a Fulbright Alumni. As a result of her work on Catherine Carswell, she was made an Honorary Research Fellow of Glasgow University in 2001.
- Author(s)Jan Pilditch
- PublisherJohn Donald Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication26/03/2007
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJohn Donald Publishers Ltd
- Out-of-print date08/12/2016
- Content NoteIllustrations, ports.
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.