All listings for this product
Sponsored by eBay Stores
About this product
- DescriptionCaviar: piquant, luxurious and decadent, it is rewned the world over. A story of greed, indulgence, enterprise and hope, Caviar: A Global History starts by looking back to its heyday in Tsarist Russia, America and Europe in the Roaring Twenties, before telling the story of production, trade and consumption today. Rewned food writer and historian Nichola Fletcher takes the reader on a tour of the main areas of caviar production Russia, Iran, Europe and America investigating how overzealous entrepreneurs, as well as illegal fishing and black-market trade in the post-Soviet Caspian States, have contributed to the plight of the sturgeon, the victim of our insatiable desire for caviar. She examines the practical solutions to overfishing the development of sustainable sturgeon farming and the alternatives to sturgeon roe and discovers that it is possible to enjoy caviar with a clear conscience. It would be easy to write caviar off as an out-of-date and unsustainable indulgence, but Fletcher shows that the story is far more interesting and complex than that. She proves that there is hope for the future, and that we may consume with gusto one of life's most opulent foods.
- Author BiographyNichola Fletcher is a member of the Guild of Food Writers and has written six books on food history and cooking. She won the Gourmet Voice Silver award and was shortlisted for The Guild of Food Writers awards for her book about the history of feasting. In 2008 she won a Gourmand World Cookbook Award for best single-subject cookbook.
- Author(s)Nichola Fletcher
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication30/04/2010
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Series TitleEdible
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Content Note20 black & white illustrations, 40 colour illustrations
- Weight318 g
- Width120 mm
- Height220 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $74.74
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.46
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.65
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.44
- AU $26.68Trending at AU $29.36
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.