All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCECIL LEARNS TO SMILE This endearing story is about a small frog who is being teased and taunted for being different, in Cecil's case, for being so small. His mother attempts to hide him away to end the joking. At the top of his tall tree in the middle of the rain forest in Costa Rica, Cecil grows very lonesome. There is one to play with or to visit. One day a TV cameraman strolls into the forest and starts talking with Cecil. Cecil tells him that he is very lonesome. He even sheds a small tear. Let me take your picture with my camera. I can show it all over the world, for I am a TV cameraman. Perhaps some of your brothers, sisters, and cousins will come to visit you. The little frog croaked okey dokey. Then the cameraman begins the process of teaching Cecil how to smile and telling him why SMILING IS IMPORTANT. When Cecil appears on TV, all the frogs hear the news and decide to go and visit Cecil in case he moves to Frogiwood. Many relatives, friends, and even the frog's mayor enter into the story with fascinating ties to today's world. These would include commercials, jumping shoes called crocs, and even a political scene of croaking and stomping. Frogs do stomp to communicate with each other and Cecil heard the news too. He decided he would practice smiling for the visit. Eventually all ends well for Little Cecil as the whole colony of frogs come together in a show of love and support for Cecil. The author has penned the story so that the adult who reads or helps the child read the story will have occasion to chuckle and also be entertained. THE ILLUSTRATIONS ARE BEAUTIFULLY RENDERED IN WATERCOLOR AND ARE A MAJOR REASON IN MAKING THE BOOK SO APPEALING. The author/illustrator Charlotte Bucher, is a Colorado native. She began writing at the age of 16 when she wrote a weekly column for her hometown newspaper. She also wrote an advice column in her high school newspaper, and later served as editor. She graduated from DU with a degree in business and an emphasis on advertising. She has traveled extensively with her husband of 55 years. She is enriched by four children and four grandchildren. Char earned certification in decorative art which she taught for 28 years and in botanical illustration. She w combines her two lifelong interests by writing and illustrating children's books. Cecil is her first.
- Author(s)Charlotte Bucher
- PublisherOutskirts Press
- Date of Publication18/04/2011
- SubjectReference & Home Learning
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOutskirts Press
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight64 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.