About this product
- DescriptionThe concept of using encapsulation for the immuprotection of transplanted cells was introduced for the first time in the 1960s. [Microencapsulated cells] might be protected from destruction and from partici- pation in immulogical processes, while the enclosing membrane would be permeable to small molecules of specific cellular product which could then enter the general extracellular compartment of the recipient. For instance, encapsulated endocrine cells might survive and maintain an effective supply of hormone. (Chang, Ph.D. Thesis, McGill University, 1965; Chang et aI., Can J Physiol PharmacoI44:115-128, 1966). We asked Connaught Laboratories, Ltd., in Toronto to put this concept into practice. In 1980, Lim and Sun from Connaught Laboratories reported on the successful implantation of poly-I-Iysine-alginate encapsu- lated rat islets into a foreign host. [Lim and Sun, Science 210:908-909, 1980]. Now many groups around the world are making tremendous progress in the encapsulation of a multitude of cell types. Kiihtreiber, Lanza, and Chick have invited many cell encapsulation groups from around the world to contribute to this book. The result is a very useful reference book in this rapidly growing area. With so many excellent au- thors describing in detail the different areas of cell encapsulation, my role here will be to briefly discuss a few points.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication15/10/2012
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight891 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edited byRobert P. Lanza,W.L. Chick,W.M. Kuhtreiber
- Foreword byThomas Ming Swi Chang
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1999
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme Your Body for Life by Michael Mosley (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $18.62New
- AU $7.82Used
- AU $21.30New
- AU $24.96New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.92New
- AU $11.61Used
- AU $32.17New
- AU $20.04New
- AU $20.03New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $19.06Trending at AU $21.30
- AU $20.25Trending at AU $25.17
- AU $21.92Trending at AU $22.75
- AU $31.03Trending at AU $31.93
- AU $79.24Trending at AU $90.07
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.54
- AU $41.88Trending at AU $42.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.