All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMost n-Central Americans think of the narrow neck between Mexico and Colombia in terms of dramatic past revolutions and lauded peace agreements, or, sensational problems of gang violence and natural disasters. In this volume, the contributors examine regional circumstances within frames of democratization and neoliberalism, as they shape lived experiences of transition. The authors, anthropologists and social scientists from the United States, Europe, and Central America, argue that the process of regions and nations disappearing (being erased from geopolitical tice) is integral to upholding a new, post-Cold War world order - and that a new framework for examining political processes must be accessible, socially collaborative, and in dialogue with the lived processes of suffering and struggle engaged by people in Central America and the world in the name of democracy.
- Author BiographyJennifer L. Burrell teaches anthropology at the University at Albany, SUNY. Her book on Mam Maya postwar experiences in Guatemala, After War, is forthcoming from the University of Texas Press (2013). Recently, she has researched transnational migration and issues of security, generation, rights and health care access in Guatemala, Mexico, and the United States. Ellen Moodie is Associate Professor in the Department of Anthropology at the University of Illinois. Her research has centered on the transformations of public meanings during political transitions in Central America. Her publications include El Salvador in the Aftermath of Peace: Crime, Uncertainty and the Transition to Democracy (University of Pennsylvania Press, 2010).
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication19/12/2012
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleCEDLA Latin American Studies
- Series Part/Volume Number102
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight632 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byEllen Moodie,Jennifer L. Burrell
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $26.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.