All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHormones strongly influence and even drive certain primitive behaviors. In Central Neural States Relating Sex and Pain, Richard J. Bodnar, Kathryn Commons, and Donald W. Pfaff examine hormonal, neural, and genetic mechanisms of reproductive, pain-sensing, and pain-inhibitory systems. The authors show that there are remarkable neuroanatomical, biochemical, and functional overlaps among these systems. They consider sensory inputs triggering both classes of behaviors and focus on the role of sex hormones in modulating both forms of behavior. Sex hormones acting in different regions of the brain t only energize reproductive behaviors but also modulate opioid-dependent pain-inhibitory pathways. The authors also summarize some intriguing gender differences in hormone actions and responsivity to pain. The clinical implications of this field of research are numerous. Central Neural States Relating Sex and Pain will appeal to anyone interested in new ways of looking at behavioral dispositions as they are influenced by specific genetic, neural, and hormonal states.
- Author BiographyRichard J. Bodnar is professor and chair of the Department of Psychology at Queens College of the City University of New York. Kathryn Commons is a postdoctoral fellow in the Laboratory of Neurobiology and Behavior at the Rockefeller University. Donald W. Pfaff is professor and head of the Laboratory of Neurobiology and Behavior at the Rockefeller University. He is a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and a member of the National Academy of Sciences.
- Author(s)Kathryn Commons,Professor Donald W. Pfaff,Richard J. Bodnar
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication07/05/2002
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Series TitleAdvances in Systems Neuroscience and Behavioral Physiology
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note53, 6 black & white halftones, 47 black & white line drawings
- Weight567 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 17
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.