Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionMuslim women in Australia are at the forefront of a culture war, and t necessarily by choice. As visible representatives of Islam, veiled women face discrimination and abuse, and carry the stigma of a culture frequently deemed unacceptable and inferior. Despite these adverse conditions, Muslim women have demonstrated a remarkable resilience by maintaining their presence in the public domain and by continuing to make a positive contribution to Australia. The experiences of Muslim women in Australia cant be typecast as a sisterhood of oppressed females. Challenging Identities questions the assumption of incompatible 'Australian values' and 'Islamic values', and provides valuable first-person accounts from the lives of Muslim women in Australia.
- Author BiographyProfessor Shahram Akbarzadeh researches Islam in diaspora and the politics of the Middle East at the National Centre of Excellence for Islamic Studies at the University of Melbourne. His recent publications include US Foreign Policy in the Middle East (with Kylie Baxter, 2008), Islam and Human Rights (with Benjamin MacQueen, 2008), Islam and Political Violence- Muslim Diaspora and Radicalism in the West (with Fethi Mansouri, 2007) and Islam and Globalization (2006).
- PublisherMelbourne University Press
- Date of Publication15/02/2010
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Series TitleIslamic Studies Series
- Place of PublicationMelbourne
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- First Published2010
- ImprintAcademic Monographs
- Weight260 g
- Width139 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.