All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is a practical guide to the development and use of selection procedures for those who are concerned with human resource management, but who are t necessarily specialists in personnel testing. Dr. Barrett explains how to improve the quality of the work force with the most modern techniques while avoiding unfair discrimination against mirities, women, older workers, and the disabled. He challenges myths that have grown up in the past 30 years which interfere with the use of valid and fair selection procedures. Topics include: historical and legal background, cognitive and n-cognitive selection procedures, validity, and measuring and reducing adverse impact. Although he concentrates on Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, there is special treatment of the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Age of Discrimination in Employment Act. Clearly written and informal, this book is every bit as professionally sound as his earlier book, Fair Employment Strategies in Human Resource Management. It removes part of the mystique about tests with many illustrations of good and bad practice. Besides being useful to human resource executives, it is a valuable supplementary text for graduate and undergraduate courses in personnel management. Attorneys would also find it especially valuable because the author documents its point with citations to important cases and the the Uniform Guidelines.
- Author BiographyRICHARD S. BARRETT is Principal of Barrett Associates, a consulting firm specializing in fair employment issues. He has held professorships at New York University and Stevens Institute of Technology. Dr. Barrett has also testified in cases argued before the Supreme Court and worked for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, where he participated in writing the Uniform Guidelines on Employee Selection Procedures. He has authored, coauthored, and contributed to ten previous books.
- Author(s)Richard S. Barrett
- Date of Publication30/08/1998
- SubjectManagement & Business: General
- Place of PublicationSanta Barbara, CA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintQuorum Books,U.S.
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight475 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.88Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.