All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen it comes to issues of race and color of one's skin, igrance and racism persist to this day. It's necessary to make connections from the past to erase the veil of igrance. In Chance or Circumstance?, author James R. Mapp offers an account of the history of race relations and the road to desegregation and open accommodations in Chattaoga, Tennessee, from the 1960s to the present. This memoir tells of people, places, and events that occurred during that tumultuous era. Mapp-a lifetime member of the NAACP-has been entrenched in the movement for racial equality and positive change for more than sixty years. Chance or Circumstance? tells what motivated Mapp and others to endure hardships, sacrifice incomes, and even risk their lives to right a wrong that had oppressed African Americans since slavery. It looks at the effect of Howard School (then, the only high school for Negro students in Chattaoga, Tennessee) and the positive effects on the city that Howard alumni and students have had. Written from an historical and personal perspective, Mapp instills racial pride by revealing the hard work involved in the struggle for civil rights. It details a set of events that played out in this mid-size southern city as students, organizations, and ordinary citizens joined the attack on racial segregation in public accommodations and schools.
- Author(s)James R Mapp
- Date of Publication22/03/2016
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight503 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $67.92Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $40.67
- AU $18.56Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.95Trending at AU $53.03
- AU $22.59Trending at AU $27.63
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.