All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
About this product
- DescriptionThis book provides the reader with a description of the semantic change that took place over two periods of the history of English language: Middle English and Early Modern English. In view of the fact that semantic change is the type of change by which the relationship between language and society can be traced best, tes on the socio-historical background of the period have been included. They are followed by the analysis of language change in general in which some of the literature on the topic is reviewed and the author's interpretation of change as being caused by external factors is made clear. For this reason, termilogy and concepts relating to the field of socio-historical linguistics have been incorporated in the analysis. The core of the work is semantic change and the linguistic study of vocabulary items which belong to the field of person-rank uns. The results of the analysis indicate a tendency towards specialization in the meaning of lexical categories which runs parallel to specialization in society.
- Author BiographyBegona Crespo is a senior lecturer at the University of La Coruna (Spain). She has been teaching English language and culture since 1996. She earned her PhD in English Philology in 2001 and has published several works on semantic change in English, historical word-formation and the lexicon of medieval and (Early) Modern scientific English. She is head of the research project Women discourse and variation in English Scientific Texts (1700-1930) .
- Author(s)Begona Crespo
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication27/03/2013
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Series TitleStudies in English Medieval Language and Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number37
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- First Published2013
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Weight290 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.