All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionThis title introduces core concepts in teaching methods and approaches. This textbook shows you how to link research to practice in TESOL methodology. Covering core topics from vocabulary and grammar to teaching, writing, speaking and listening, it emphasises how current interpretations have impacted on the language classroom worldwide. It investigates the meaning of 'methods' and 'methodology' and the importance of these for the teacher, as well as the underlying assumptions and beliefs teachers bring to bear in their practice. By introducing you to language teaching approaches, you will explore the way these are influenced by developments in our understanding of language, learning techlogies, learners, and their socio-cultural world. Three main areas in TESOL methods are covered: the impact of learner needs, context and culture on language, learning and teaching approaches; kwledge of language and its impact on methods, from the word to whole texts; and multiple literacies and competences for the modern world, including academic literacy and web literacy, socio-cultural and intercultural competence. It also discusses the impact on teacher choices and methods of World Englishes, approaches to grammar, and learner development. It is written specifically for those studying TESOL teaching. Each chapter illustrates core principles in practice using case studies of English teaching worldwide. Guided tasks, including article critique, case study analysis, and classroom research, prepare students to engage critically with research literature. It is a first book to teach methods and practice in a global context.
- Author BiographyJane Spiro is Learning and Teaching Development Leader at the Institute of Education, Oxford Brookes University.
- Author(s)Jane Spiro
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication20/05/2013
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleEdinburgh Textbooks in TESOL
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Weight587 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.