All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis revised edition discusses the history and philosophy of policing. It is also a comparative study of the practice of policing in Australia, Britain and the US. The first part of the book shows that the divergent histories and constitutional and cultural differences of the three nations affect the styles of policing in each country. The second part discusses society and crime in the 21st century, analyzing crime and disorder on the streets, problems involved in street policing, and the effect of new techlogy, for example CCTV, as a crime-fighting tool, and the pervasive involvement of drugs and alcohol in crime, particularly street crime. The third part of the book discusses the accountability of police in all aspects, in particular the accountability of police organizations to the government, the accountability of senior officers to the public and the accountability of individual police officers to the persons with whom they come into contact. The fourth part of the book is wholly new. It examines the changing relationship between police and the state, in particular with regard to policing terrorism, and changes in the nature of crime, brought about by the use of communication techlogy and the difficulties of prosecuting cases where Internet crime transcends jurisdictional boundaries. The final chapter looks ahead to 2029, the bicentenary of the establishment of first modern police force in London, and offers some thoughts on the future directions of policing.
- Author BiographyCharles Edwards was for 20 years a police officer in London before emigrating to Australia to lecture in Police Studies at Edith Cowan University, Perth. He studied Humanities at the Open University and has research degrees in Political Philosophy from the University of London. Although retired from academic life, he still retains a critical interest in policing theory, especially government control over police, ethics and crime prevention.
- Author(s)Charles Edwards
- PublisherFederation Press
- Date of Publication08/08/2011
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationAnnandale, NSW
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintFederation Press
- Weight574 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.50Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.