All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is a study of the challenges, issues, and obstacles facing black professional workers in the United States. Though they have always been a part of the U.S. labor force, black professionals have often been overlooked in media, research, and public opinion. Ironically, however, their experiences offer a particularly effective way to understand how race shapes social life, opportunities, and upward mobility. As the 21st century continues to usher in increasing demographic, social, and ecomic change to the United States, it is critical to consider the impact this will have on an important sector of the labor force. In this book, I examine the reasons why sociological study of black professional workers is important and valuable, review the literature that examines their experiences in the workplace, and consider the issues and challenges they are likely to face in a rapidly shifting social world. The goal of this new, unique Series is to offer readable, teachable thinking frames on today's social problems and social issues by leading scholars, all in short 60 page or shorter formats, and available for view on http://routledge.customgateway.com/routledge-social-issues.html For instructors teaching a wide range of courses in the social sciences, the Routledge Social Issues Collection w offers the best of both worlds: originally written short texts that provide overviews to important social issues as well as teachable excerpts from larger works previously published by Routledge and other presses.
- Author BiographyAdia Harvey Wingfield is Assistant Professor of Sociology at Georgia State University. She is the author of Doing Business with Beauty: Black Women, Hair Salons, and the Racial Enclave Economy (2008), Yes We Can? White Racial Framing and the 2008 Presidential Campaign (2009), and numerous peer-reviewed journal articles.
- Author(s)Adia Harvey Wingfield
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication17/12/2010
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight113 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.