All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIntroduces the debate surrounding teaching and learning in urban settings in contemporary Britain, and the impact this has on education. Changing Urban Education considers the way we approach teaching and learning in the urban context and examines the debates concerning developments in wider social, cultural, political and ecomic contexts. Grounded in a strong conceptual, theoretical framework, this accessible text will guide the reader through this evolving area. Reflective exercises, interviews, chapter summaries and useful websites will encourage and support student learning and the application of new concepts. Recent debates and developments are considered, including: The city as a social, cultural and ecomic resource; Virtual communities; The impact of the forces of globalisation on urban education; New labour, challenging schools and urban policy; and, Mobile urban learning. Changing Urban Education is essential reading for undergraduate and postgraduate students on education studies and related courses. This series presents an authoritative, coherent and focused collection of texts to introduce the contemporary issues that are covered in Education Studies, and related programmes. Each book develops a key theme in contemporary education, such as: Multiculturalism; The social construction of childhood; Urban education; eLearning and multimedia; and, Language and literacy. A key feature of this series is the critical exploration of education in times of rapid change, with links made between such developments in wider social, cultural, political and ecomic contexts. Further, contextualised extracts from important primary texts, such as Bourdieu, Piaget and Vygotsky, will ensure students' exposure to dominant contemporary theories in the field of education. Grounded in a strong conceptual, theoretical framework and presented in an accessible way with the use of features such as case studies, activities and visual devices to encourage and support student learning and the application of new concepts, this series will serve well as collection of core texts for the Education Studies student and lecturer.
- Author BiographyElizabeth Burn is Senior Primary and Early Years Manager, The Learning Trust, Hackney, London, UK. Meg Maguire is Professor of Sociology of Education, King's College London, UK. Simon Pratt-Adams is a Senior Lecturer in Education Studies, London Metropolitan University, UK.
- Author(s)Elizabeth Burn,Meg Maguire,Simon Pratt-Adams
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication08/04/2010
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleContemporary Issues in Education Studies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Weight318 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.