All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionChantal Mouffe's writings have been invatory with respect to democratic theory, Marxism and feminism. Her work derives from, and has always been engaged with, contemporary political events and intellectual debates. This sense of conflict informs both the methodological and substantive propositions she offers. Determinisms, scientific or otherwise, and ideologies, Marxist or feminist, have failed to survive her excoriating critiques. In a sense she is the original post-Marxist, rejecting ecomisms and class-centric analyses, and also the original post-feminist, more concerned with the varieties of 'identity politics' than with any singularities of 'women's issues'. While Mouffe's concerns with power and discourse derive from her studies of Gramsci's theorisations of hegemony and the post-structuralisms of Derrida and Foucault, her reversal of the very terms through which political theory proceeds is very much her own. She centres conflict, t consensus, and disagreement, t finality. Whether philosophically perfectionist, or liberally reasonable, political theorists have been challenged by Mouffe to think again, and to engage with a new concept of 'the political' and a revived and refreshed tion of 'radical democracy'. The editor has focused on her work in three key areas: * Hegemony: From Gramsci to 'Post-Marxism' * Radical Democracy: Pluralism, Citizenship and Identity * The Political: A Politics Beyond Consensus The volume concludes with a new interview with Chantal Mouffe.
- Author BiographyJames Martin is Professor of Politics at Goldsmiths, University of London, UK. He has published widely on Italian political thought, contemporary political theory and rhetoric.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication27/06/2013
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Series TitleRoutledge Innovators in Political Theory
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight453 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byJames Martin
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.91Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $36.60Trending at AU $37.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.