All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis reference book is intended to acquaint and reacquaint readers with the brilliant short stories of Ring Lardner, who was the first and remains one of the best contemporary baseball writers - accurate, colloquial, and funny. His characters, both real and fictional, are handled here, as are the plots and details of some 35 short stories devoted almost exclusively to baseball. But Lardner was more versatile than many readers think, writing 92 n-baseball stories that are sometimes hard to categorize, focusing on athletes, writers, theatrical people, musicians, soldiers, embarrassed husbands, and puzzling wives. These lesser kwn stories are given equal attention in this encyclopedia, including 34 stories which are extremely rare and have never been collected in book form.The encyclopedia begins with an introductory essay on Lardner's personality, his appearance, and the wide variety of his stories, followed by a chrology listing major events in the writer's life. Hundreds of alphabetized entries follow, ranging from general summaries of Lardner's stories to biographical overviews of his many fictional characters. When relevant, the latter category of entries provides a brief guide to the relationships between Lardner's fictional characters and his real-life family, friends, professional acquaintances, and critics. To assist the most dedicated readers, the encyclopedia includes many end-of-entry bibliographical tes and a select bibliography.
- Author BiographyFollowing a 40-year teaching career, Robert L. Gale is professor emeritus of American literature at the University of Pittsburgh. He is the author of numerous books including McFarland's Characters and Plots in the Fiction of Graham Greene (2006) and An Edwin Arlington Robinson Encyclopedia (2006). He lives in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Author(s)Robert L. Gale
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication15/05/2009
- SubjectFiction Companions
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Notenotes, bibliography, index
- Weight671 g
- Width178 mm
- Height252 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $26.95Trending at AU $30.41
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.62
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.80
- AU $14.99Trending at AU $19.01
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $59.41
- AU $21.78Trending at AU $24.79
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $20.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.