Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $23.34+ AU $25.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- Description?Jean Simeon Chardin (1699-1779) was arguably the most talented French painter of the eighteenth century, best kwn for his original still lifes. Composed of simple, everyday objects, these works glow with warmth and magic, from the dull iron of the kitchen pans, to the glaze of the green earthenware jug or the shining copper of the cauldron. There is superfluous detail or search for decorative effect; the beauty of his paintings lies in their minimalism. His contemporary, the philosopher Diderot, looking at The Olive Jar exclaimed: 'All you have to do is take these biscuits and eat them ...pick up the glass of wine and drink it ...O Chardin! It's t white, red or black pigment that you crush on your palette: it's the very substance of the objects.' Chardin received early recognition for his work, becoming an Associate of the Royal Academy of Painting and Sculpture and full Academician in 1728 at the age of almost 29. Following the success of his early still lifes and inspired by Dutch seventeenth-century artists, whose work was very much in vogue in Paris at the time, Chardin went on to paint some exquisite genre scenes and portraits, remarkable for their realism and honesty as well as for their skilful technique. His works had a tremendous influence on subsequent artists, inspiring painters as diverse as Manet and Cezanne.
- Author BiographyGabriel Naughton is a director of the fine art dealers, Agnew's, and head of the department of Old Master drawings.
- Author(s)Gabriel Naughton
- PublisherPhaidon Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/04/1996
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Series TitleColour Library
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPhaidon Press Ltd
- Content Note48 colour and 40 b&w illustrations, chronology, bibliography
- Weight544 g
- Width225 mm
- Height305 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.