All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe energy of a molecule can be studied with the help of quantum theory, a satisfactory approach because it involves only basic and clearly identified physical concepts. In an entirely different approach, the molecular energy can be broken down into individual contributions reflecting chemical bonds plus a host of subsidiary effects , like y-gauche, skew pentane, ring-strain, etc. , giving an overall picture in terms of topological characteristics. The latter approach can be successful, particularly if a sufficient number of particular topological situations have been parametrized (which is an empir- ical way of understanding chemistry), but also contains the seed for difficulties. Indeed, the danger exists of unduly ascribing a physical meaning to corrective terms whose function is primarily to account in an empirical fashion for discrepancies between expected and observed results. The link between this type of empirical approach and the kwledge that the ground state energy is uniquely determined by the electron density is lost somewhere along the road, although some of the steric effects are here and there vaguely traced back to electronic effects. The approach presented in this mograph goes back to the fundamen- tals in that it is exclusively based on interactions involving nuclear and electronic charges. Confining the study to molecules in their equilibrium geometry, the problem of molecular energies is reduced to its electrostatic aspects, explicitly involving local electron populations.
- Author(s)Sandor Fliszar
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication05/11/2011
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight346 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1983
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.34New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.85Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.