Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $32.78Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
- AU $33.35Trending at AU $36.06
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
About this product
- DescriptionThe best kwn variety of the ancient vel - sometimes identified with the ancient vel tout court - is the Greek love vel. The question of its origins has intrigued scholars for centuries and has been the focus of a great deal of research. Stefan Tilg proposes a new solution to this ancient puzzle by arguing for a personal inventor of the genre, Chariton of Aphrodisias, who wrote the first Greek (and, with that, the first European) love vel, Narratives about Callirhoe, in the mid-first century AD. Tilg's conclusion is drawn on the basis of two converging lines of argument, one from literary history, ather from Chariton's poetics, and will shed fresh light upon the reception of Latin literature in the Greek world.
- Author BiographyStefan Tilg is Research Fellow of the Swiss National Science Foundation.
- Author(s)Stefan Tilg
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication06/05/2010
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, figures
- Weight579 g
- Width148 mm
- Height224 mm
- Spine26 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.