All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMuch of Charles Darwin's groundbreaking work as an evolutionary biologist stemmed from his study of birds. It is universally ackwledged that Darwin's observation of bird groups and species like the Galapagos finches, mockingbirds, and rock doves was critical to the development of his theories on natural selection, evolution, and sexual selection. The significant number of diverse birds that Darwin covered in his published works represents a most substantial ornithological contribution. His major books alone contain reference to and consideration of almost 500 bird species, as well as interesting and pertinent discussion of over 100 ornithological topics. Charles Darwin's Birds is a comprehensive treatment of Darwin's work as an ornithologist. Clifford Frith discusses every ornithological topic and bird species that Darwin researched, providing a complete historical survey of his published writing on birds. Through this, we learn how Darwin became an increasingly skilled and eventually exceptional ornithologist, and how his relationships grew with contemporary scientists like John Gould. It examines how Darwin was influenced by birds, and how the major themes of his research developed through his study of them. The book also features 4 appendices, which contain brief accounts of every bird species Darwin wrote about, basic ornithological information about each of the species, and a listing of where the species appears in Darwin's work.
- Author BiographyClifford B. Frith is an ornithologist and wildlife photographer. He has held appointments at The Natural History Museum in London and has performed ornithological research for the Royal Society of London, as well as the Bird Department of the British Museum. Frith has also researched and professionally photographed birds in Australia, New Guinea, the South Pacific, the Galapagos, and many other locations. He is the author of six books, including two titles in OUP's Bird Families of the World series (1998 and 2004).
- Author(s)Clifford B. Frith
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication04/08/2016
- SubjectLife Sciences: Zoology
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Note66
- Weight930 g
- Width163 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine32 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.18
- AU $40.72Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.