All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book spans fifty years of underground / counter-cultural photography by Charles Gatewood. American-born Charles Gatewood's career has emphasized rebelliousness against the status quo, and documentation of underground, underclass and bigger-than-life individuals who live lives that challenge middle-class morals and value systems. In the sixties, escaping to Sweden to avoid being drafted into the Vietnam War campaign, Charles Gatewood early on (1966) seized an opportunity to photograph Bob Dylan, taking his first iconic black-and-white portraits (which became heavily syndicated). After moving back to America (Manhattan), he developed his technical skills, photographic eye and timing by documenting celebrities such as Red Stewart, Sly Stone, Martin Luther King and others in less-than-ideal circumstances. Later he participated in the post-sixties gender wars campaigns, documenting Mardi Gras, biker rallies, nudist conventions, and other outre social gatherings in private clubs, the Folsom Street fairs, as well as worldwide. In this book, Charles Gatewood sums up his long career and offers advice to budding young photographers and social-activist artists and performers.
- Author BiographyPerhaps the most legendary unknown underground photographer in America (he should be as famous as Larry Clark, Nan Goldin, Diane Arbus), Charles Gatewood has documented all kinds of counter-cultural and underground celebrities and movements for the past fifty years. He lives in San Francisco. In 1977 V. Vale published Search & Destroy magazine, originally funded by Allen Ginsberg and Lawrence Ferlinghetti, at City Lights Bookstore. In 1980 he founded RE/Search, which published the influential Modern Primitives issue, plus other cultural jump-starters. He lives in San Francisco.
- Author(s)Charles Gatewood,V Vale
- PublisherRe/Search Publications
- Date of Publication29/12/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRe/Search Publications
- Weight113 g
- Width102 mm
- Height152 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.16New
- AU $64.84Used
- AU $78.59New
- AU $105.40New
- AU $75.53Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $45.70Trending at AU $72.17
- AU $21.27Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $19.59Trending at AU $32.54
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.10
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.31
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $87.71
- AU $10.36Trending at AU $18.84
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.