All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionA follow-up to The Early Exploration of Inland Washington Waters: Journals and Logs from Six Expeditions, 1786-1792 and 2007's With Vancouver in Inland Washington Waters: Journals of 12 Crewmen, April - June 1792 , this book offers ather significant addition to maritime history in the Pacific Northwest. It follows naval officer and explorer Charles Wilkes, an experienced nautical surveyor who led the Wilkes Expedition through the Strait of Juan de Fuca, the Puget Sound, the Columbia River, and other inland Washington waters in 1841. Beginning his exploration at Discovery Bay 49 years to the day after George Vancouver's, Wilkes had the luxury of spending more time than Vancouver in inland Washington waters, utilizing more small boats and many more crewmen. This book includes the journals of Charles Wilkes and ten of his crewmen, including Augustus L. Case, George Colvocoresses, George T. Sinclair, and several other esteemed naval officers. Special attention is given to the many place names that Wilkes originated, several of which were created to hor members of the expedition team. The book also includes eighteen of the Wilkes Expedition's charts, the quality of which reflects the crew's careful attention to accuracy. Finally, it includes a complete muster list of the officers and crewmen attached to the Wilkes Expedition, featuring name, title, and, in most cases, a brief sypsis of the man's activity within the expedition.
- Author BiographyRichard W. Blumenthal is the editor of With Vancouver in Inland Washington Waters: Journals of 17 Crewmen, April - June 1792 (2006) and The Early Exploration of Inland Washington Waters: Journals and Logs from Six Expeditions, 1786-1792 (2004). He lives in Bellevue, Washington.
- Author(s)Richard W. Blumenthal
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication15/07/2009
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Notenotes, bibliography, index
- Weight408 g
- Width150 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.