All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCharlotte Charke's father, Colley Cibber, was one of the eighteenth-century's great actor/playwrights - the toast of the British aristocracy, a favourite of the king. When his high spirited, often rebellious daughter, Charlotte, revealed a fondness for things theatrical, it was thought that the young actress would follow in his footsteps at the legendary Drury Lane, creating a brilliant career on the London stage. But this was t to be. And it was t that Charlotte lacked talent - she was gifted, particularly at comedy. Troublesome, however was her habit of dressing in men's clothes - a preference first revealed onstage but adopted elsewhere after her disastrous marriage to an actor, who became the last man she ever loved.
- Author BiographyKathryn Shevelow is an award-winning professor at the University of California in San Diego, teaching regular classes in Restoration and eighteenth-century drama. She has published widely on eighteenth-century topics and lives in Solana Beach, California.
- Author(s)Kathryn Shevelow
- PublisherPicador USA
- Date of Publication15/05/2008
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPicador USA
- Out-of-print date04/02/2010
- Content Note25 black & white photo's throughout
- Weight544 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine33 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $23.03New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.96
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.47
- AU $60.87Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $30.87
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.