Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.75Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionJosephine Balmer's 'Chasing Catullus' ventures into border territory, the -man's-land between poetry and translation, juxtaposing new poems with fresh versions of ancient texts, brazenly reimagining classical literature, wittily subverting epic works, overwriting the past like a palimpsest. But there is a more personal journey here too. 'Chasing Catullus' presents a dark odyssey of the soul, descending in and out of the underworls as Balmer responds to the death of her young niece from cancer, exploring difficult times and dangerous emotions with compassion and humour. The poems push back the boundaries, blurring differences between ancient and modern, familiar and unfamiliar, giving voice to contemporary loss and grief.
- Author BiographyJosephine Balmer studied Classics and Ancient History at University College London, and has worked as a continuing education lecturer in Classics and ComparativeLitrature. She is a freelance writer and translator. As well as Chasing Catullus translation, she has published Sappho: poems &Fragments and the anthology Classical women poets with bloodaxe. She lives in Crowborough in East Sussex and in Cornwall.
- Author(s)Josephine Balmer
- PublisherBloodaxe Books Ltd
- Date of Publication26/02/2004
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationTyne and Wear
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloodaxe Books Ltd
- Weight113 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine5 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.